thoughtomation

removing the "mis" from information

Sunday, July 25, 2004

The Burying of Sandy Burglar

At an earlier age, I suppose I would have been a bit astonished and mystified that the major media outlets (except FOX) in the United States would completely ignore the blatant theft of codeword-classified documents, concerning the most deadly attack on United States soil since the Civil War, by a former National Security Advisor who was also, until the case came to public light, the foreign policy advisor of the Democrat candidate for President, mere months from the quadrennial election.

But that would have been before I was paying attention; indeed, at that time, I was more concerned with racking up my women-seduced score than anything that was happening in politics. At that time, if supporting abortion and redistributionism got me laid, I was all for it.

Now, however, I am a little older and wiser. As I have indicated previously, being a target of the 1993 WTC bombing opened my eyes to politics and the stark reality that this stuff actually does affect me, whether I like it or not. Even though I was a regular newspaper reader since my pre-teens, it was at the beginning of the Clinton administration when I truly understood how different newspaper reporting could be from reality. I was under the naive impression that being a journalist was like being an archaeologist, only in real time. The sight of CNN reporters telling me, in their breathless and compelling manner, things I absolutely knew to be untrue about the attack I had just barely escaped with my life, caused me to ask a few extremely uncomfortable questions:
  1. If reporters could gravely assert these certain untruths without any indication of doubt or allowance that the reality might be otherwise, what else have they been saying that is also completely wrong?
  2. Do journalists willingly misrepresent reality?
  3. Do journalists play favorites, i.e., is the pretense of the journalist being an "objective" observer an outright fraud?
  4. How does a member of a medium's audience tell fact from fiction?
  5. Isn't control over the choice of what to report alone sufficient to change the essential character of reporting from journalism to propaganda?

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home