thoughtomation

removing the "mis" from information

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

I'm off and running. Great! Let's get a few things down on 'paper'.

1972: I was born in a suburb of New York City. Although I wasn't quite aware of it at the time, the Vietnam War was in its 11th year, World War III in its 24th. Nixon clobbered McGovern and readied himself for four more years in the White House.

1973: Roe v. Wade decision handed down by the Supreme Court of the United States of America.

I quite honestly never expected to live to be 30. In a world where life - even human life - was treated as being so worthless, I was certain that I would never outlive my 20s. From the earliest I can remember, I had always imagined that I would die young, in a global thermonuclear war, as the USSR and USA engaged in a world-destroying 2 hour exchange of missiles. I really did expect that one day I would look up, see a Soviet missile coming out of the sky, and shortly thereafter be vaporized - or worse, die a slow death of radiation poisoning, or be murdered in the world of death, fire, chaos, and desperation that must shortly follow thereafter.

1979: Revolution in Iran precipitates a year-plus international hostage crisis.

1980: Ronald Reagan elected President of the United States with 51% of the popular vote, ousting incumbent President Jimmy Carter.

1984: Democrats offer Mondale. Reagan wins again, this time with 59% of the popular vote.

1988: Democrats offer Dukakis. Vice President George Bush wins with 53% of the popular vote.

1991: World War III ends as the USSR dissolves, the Soviets having finally decided that pointing missiles at us wasn't really paying off for them.

1992: Bill Clinton elected President of the United States with 43% of the popular vote in a three-way contest with incumbent President George H. W. Bush and businessman Ross Perot.


Having reached the "end of history", I guess there was nothing left to do but ... Party On with Bill the Raging Hormone! (We'll MoveOn.org past the hangover later.) For the record, I voted "Bush" - my first vote for President. Also for the record, I am not and have never been a Republican (nor a Democrat). I don't support the two-party swindle. However, given a choice, I would rather be fooled by a Republican than sodomized by a Democrat. I do understand some people like it the other way around, but that was never to my taste.


February 1993: The World Trade Center in New York City is bombed by radical Islamists. Though a powerful blast killed only 6 people, it was later learned that the bomb was intended to release a cyanide gas, which was incinerated in the detonation.


Personally, I did not appreciate having to walk down 49 flights of stairs not knowing if I was going to live or die. How ironic would that be, anyway? You live your whole life thinking you'll die impersonally from a Soviet nuke, but instead find yourself about to die from an Islamist bomb.

February 1993-January 2001: Some stuff happened, but hey? What does it really matter, anyway? The Party happened, and that's all that mattered... at the time. A few tanks under the command of Attorney General Janet Reno, slaughtering 80 US citizens, men, women, and children alike, in Waco, Texas. And some "Wall" thing about protecting civil liberties, because the FBI and the CIA might talk to each other, I think. Does it matter? Bill plays the sax, check it out - no wonder he gets all the babes!


September 2001: World War IV begins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home